KICK-A-THON, CYCLE 2, THIS FRIDAY & SATURDAY, DECEMBER 14th & 15th, 2012
Wow! What a lineup of games and other creative projects on Kickstarter!!
- Kick-a-thon Kick-off
- Robert Campbell — “Instant Author” and the Creative Process
- Dice Rings
- Days of Dawn — RPG [watch] [01-01-13]
- Fate Core — RPG
- 8-bit, Bicycle, Playing Cards
- Anima — Gate of Memories
- GetBlue! Collectible, magnetic table-top game
- Galcon 2: Galactic Conquest
- The American Values Club Crossword
- The Red Queen of Oz: Two Fates — An Adventure Game
- Through the Breach: A Malifaux RPG
- Dungeon Crawls and Treasure Trawls — Roguelike Book
- Antharion — An Old-School RPG
- Meriwether: An American Epic
- War for the Overworld — RTS game for Windows/Mac/Linux
- Shadowgate — A first-person fantasy adventure
- Furcadia: The Second Dreaming
- The Woodsman — An illustrated Grimm’s-style fairy tale
- Tiny Barbarian DX — Retro 2D Action Game [12-19-12]
- Galaxy for Hire — Hero-based tower defense
- Questionable Fun: Hilarious Answers to Irrelevant Questions
- Girl Genius and the Rats of Mechanicsburg
- Dungeon Panic! — an Adventure in Friendship [12-21-12]
- 1969 – The Space Race — table-top game
- The Cookening — A 2D Action Adventure Game
- Dream — A First-Person Atmospheric Exploration Game
- Predestination — A Turn-Based Space 4X Strategy Game
- The Wardenclyffe Horror — A Graphic Novel
- Battle For Souls — Medieval Card and Dice Game
- AERO 3D Bird Flight Game with Bill Nye and GameDesk
- Drop-in Session (past guests say “hi”)
- Legend of Dungeon — Co-Op Roguelike-like Beat’em’up
- The Morrow Project 4th. Edition — RPG
- Telepath Tactics — Turn-Based RPG
- Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO
- AE-WWII: European Theater — Table-top WWII Game
- Forsaken Fortress — The Survival RPG :: Closing Ceremonies
Check out the extensive lineup on our CALENDAR PAGE, which currently includes a list of over 20+ guests (and growing) — and many of the top-rated games currently being funded on Kickstarter. You can read about a sampling of the guests who with be on this upcoming show.
Kick-a-thon was invented in mid-October when we had our own active Kickstarter campaign for our upcoming retro-style dungeon-crawler adventure game, Sword of Fargoal 2, which is scheduled for completion in May, 2013. The event was designed to be a final-day, ’round-the-clock marathon interview show, a celebration of creative projects and other geeky fun!
What we didn’t realize is how popular it would become, booking about 30 guests in just 24 hours. Also, as Erik Kain reported in his Forbes article (http://far.gl/sof-forbes), an interview with Obsidian’s CEO, Feargus Urquhart, resulted in a bigger spotlight being put on our Fargoal 2 campaign (as a result of the Kick-a-thon show).
We were delighted to have interviewed so many creative projects in such a short period of time, and we think the participants enjoyed it too. After the successful first show we vowed to do another one, even though we knew we wouldn’t have an active Kickstarter campaign two months after ours ended.
We look forward to what the show brings! We also think that if viewers are interested in learning about a MAJOR cross-section of the games that are currently on Kickstarter — all in one place — and hearing directly from the project-creators themselves in interview format, this Kick-a-thon merits a worthy viewing on Friday and Saturday!!
Viewers can tune in by following the WATCH NOW link which will be posted later on this page (when the show is streaming live). Note: The live link can’t be posted in advance but will be posted at that time.
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/kickathon
Like on Facebook: http://facebook.com/kickathon
THANK YOU FOR AN AMAZING FIRST KICK-A-THON
Wow! We had some amazing guests and great discussions. We will have lots of follow-up and news about our own campaign and our guests here soon!
(referring to the inaugural show on October 12th & 13th, 2012)
THE FIRST EVER KICK-A-THON
A 24 Hour Live Celebration of Kickstarter and Its Projects
Game developer Jeff McCord will be interviewing game creators, fans, and journalists during a live 24 hour event discussing Kickstarter projects, gaming, and geek culture. The event starts at 3:00 pm (Pacific) on Friday October 12th and runs through 3:00 pm (Pacific) on October 13th.
Beginning Thursday morning we lined up over 24 amazing guests, built a killer new website, and invented — Kick-a-thon — a 24-hour live celebration of Kickstarter and its projects, games, creativity, and other geeky goodness!
Raw Archived Video (for your viewing now!):
- PART A — Kick-a-thon #001 (Inaugural Episode)
- PART B — Kick-a-thon #001 (Inaugural Episode)
- PART C — Kick-a-thon #001 (Inaugural Episode)
- PART D — Kick-a-thon #001 (Inaugural Episode)
- PART E — Kick-a-thon #001 (Inaugural Episode)
(the amazing finale!)
NOTE: We will plan on doing a clean edit of these (cutting out the non-essential rough patches), plus we will capture the highlight of the final moments of our funding of this amazing Kickstarter campaign for Sword of Fargoal 2. Thought we were done? No, now the hard work begins!! (for us).
The history of Kick-a-thon…
Once we announced this idea to guests, nearly 100% we reached said “yes,” they’d like to participate! Not only that, but the news began to spread like wildfire: Several other Seattle-based Kickstarter campaign-creators heard about our Kick-a-thon, and they each independently called or emailed, saying they’d love to come and appear in our studio live to tell us about their game projects… At this point we are even expecting some local TV news to be covering how it has grown!
- Who? We have an earth-shattering variety of amazing guests from other Kickstarter projects, the media, and the gaming world!
- What? Our first-ever 24-hour Kick-a-thon is a celebration of Kickstarter and its projects.
- When? Beginning on Friday, October 12th at 3:00 pm PST (and ending when our campaign wraps up on Saturday, October 13th at 3:00 pm PST).
- Where? At 3PM PST we will provide you with the Google Hangout link to this one-of-a-kind Kick-a-thon event!
- Why? You’ve given us so much already, now we want to give back to other creative people in the Kickstarter community and beyond!
Our guests come from such a variety of backgrounds that we know you will be tempted to stay up all 24-hours with us to listen to and ask questions of this parade of amazing talent. Each guest will have up to a 30 minute slot. I will act as host, and I’ll ask them about how did they got started with what they do; what led them to doing a Kickstarter campaign; where do they plan to go from here; along with many other questions. Plus, you will be able to type live chat to ask your questions too! You will have a direct connection to learn more about other great Kickstarter projects…
On our calendar so far, we have 20 guests and growing, so these categories are just to name a few:
- Some guests are just starting their Kickstarter campaigns.
- Some are near the end of their Kickstarter campaigns like us.
- Others have funded successfully, and can give us some exciting updates and insight about what Kickstarter has been like for them.
- We also have other talented game designers who have products on the market.
- You can hear, directly, what it’s like to be a game industry journalist.
- We have a Professor, who is also a renowned video game historian!
- We even a game contract attorney who can answer questions about how you can protect yourself when you are working on a game project with other companies or partners.
Ben Kuchera video mentioned by Nick Branstator: